Wednesday, March 8, 2017

THE BIG ONE

After Surigao quake, is West Valley Fault next?

 -----

Last February 10, 2017, Surigao was hit by a 6.7 magnitude earthquake that destroyed lives and properties. PHIVOLCS has been warning residents from Metro Manila and other nearby provinces to be more prepared for the the possible 7.2 magnitude earthquake, especially that the West Valley Fault is ripe for movement. Six were reported dead during the Surigao earthquake, while there were over 100 casualties. PHIVOLCS reminded everyone that if an earthquake like the Surigao earthquake will happen in Metro Manila, there will be more or less 21,000 casualties. They said that they have to inspect a number of buildings that could be of "massive endeavor", as to lessen the predicted number of casualties.

This news about the possible magnitude 7.2 earthquake is really scaring me, and there is no denying that. Places along the West Valley Fault Line include Quezon City, Marikina, Makati, Pasig, and Rodriguez Rizal. Although our place is not included, we are near some of these mentioned places. The place where I work is already at the boundary of Antipolo and Marikina. I often go to Quezon City, Pasig, and Makati. Moreso, I am fortunate enough not to experience high magnitude earthquakes in the past, so I won't really know what kind of preparation it is that I need to do. One thing I know is that I have to be prepared as early as now. I can achieve this by doing research about proper earthquake protocols, telling my family and friends about it, sharing relevant news and information on my social media account about earthquakes, especially about "The Big One", and preparing emergency kits at home.

The West Valley Fault may or may not be next, but all we can do right now is to be prepared for it physically, psychologically, and emotionally. Furthermore, letting the people about this even if no one knows when this is going to happen is a very smart thing to do. I hope that PHIVOLCS, as well as the government, won't fail to give constant news and reminders about The Big One.

No comments:

Post a Comment